Getting Started in the Lab
You can download a PDF of this startup here.
- Open a web browser and go to http://lab.exumbraops.com
- Create an account or login into your existing account. You will need to provide your name, a valid email address, and a password. While there are no password requirements for your account, you should pick a good one! This is a security course after all.
- After you login, you will be presented with a screen where you need to click “Get Started”. This will create your personal lab environment for you and will connect you to your attack system. This can take a minute or so to create if you have a new account. If you are logging into an existing account, you will be taken back to where you left off.
- Once connected, you will see a Kali Linux desktop and three buttons underneath. The Kali Linux system is our attack system and is connected to your unique lab environment. The buttons reset either your Kali Linux attack system, the vulnerable lab targets, or your entire environment to its default.
- The default resolution for the system is 800x600. You can change this and other setting in the preferences menu. This menu is accessible via Menu->Preferences->Monitor Settings.
- Most of the tools we will use are in the command line, you can get access to the command line by opening a terminal window by clicking on the lxterminal icon in the task bar. The lxterminal icon is on the lower left side and looks like a computer screen.
- At this point the vulnerable targets should be running and will have an IP address in the 10.0.1.1-254 range. This range is the scope of the penetration test lab. During this test we will attempt to find and exploit vulnerabilities in the system.